Distracted Driving Bill: Important Points
What is not allowed?
- No holding or using your cell phone with your hands or fingers
- No tapping buttons, even if the device is in a holster.
- No watching Netflix or funny cat videos.
What is allowed? Speaker phone, voice to text or using the GPS navigation.
When does the law start? Feb. 23rd, but you get a grace period until March 31st., during which only warnings will be issued. After then, expect fines.
What are the fines?
- 1st offense = $100 fine
- 2nd offense = $250 fine
- 3rd offense = $500 fine & insurance surcharge
- Habitual offenders may be subject to driver training courses.
What constitutes “Driving”? Operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway, whether moving or stopped at a traffic light.
Any exceptions? Emergency situations such as:
- Disabled vehicle
- Medical attention is needed
- Contacting Police or Fire departments
- Reporting an accident