What is not allowed when driving?
- No holding or using your cell phone with your hands or fingers
- No tapping buttons while driving, even if the device is in a holster.
- No watching Netflix or funny cat videos.
What is allowed while driving? Speaker phone, voice to text or using the GPS navigation.
When does the law start? Feb. 23rd, but you get a grace period until March 31st., during which only warnings will be issued. After then, expect fines.
What are the fines?
- 1st offense = $100 fine
- 2nd offense = $250 fine
- 3rd offense = $500 fine & insurance surcharge
- Habitual offenders may be subject to driver training courses.
What constitutes “Driving”? Operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway, whether moving or stopped at a traffic light.
Any exceptions? Emergency situations include:
- Disabled vehicle
- Medical attention is needed
- Contacting Police or Fire departments
- Reporting an accident
Attorney James Haroutunian practice includes real estate, probate and estate planning law. Contact him to begin your estate plan or with questions at Priority Law, www.prioritylaw.com or at the Haroutunian Law Office at 790 Boston Road, Billerica, 978-671-0711, www.hlawoffice.com or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.